Cristiano Ronaldo reached a career landmark on Monday by scoring his 700th career goal in Portugal’s Euro 2020 qualifier at Ukraine. The 34-year-old scored a penalty as Portugal lost 2-1. His 700 goals so far have come from 973 matches – and he has scored at least once in 458 of those. His goal in the 2-1 loss to Ukraine was also his 95th for Portugal, leaving only Iranian Ali Daei in front in the international charts on 109 goals. The win for Ukraine, meanwhile, means they have qualified for Euro 2020. Ronaldo’s goal means he joins an elite group of players to have hit at least 700 goals in their career. He scored 450 times for the Spanish giants, with 118 of his 700 goals coming during the early part of his career at Manchester United from 2003 to 2009. His 95 goals for Portugal is more than double the tally of any other player to have featured for the national team. Pauleta has the second most with 47. Lucas Hernandez reveals he snubbed interest from Real Madrid Bayern Munich defender Lucas Hernandez says he turned down the chance to join Real Madrid prior to his move to Bayern Munich. Hernandez joined Bayern from Atlético Madrid in an €80m deal this summer which was at the time a club record transfer for the Bundesliga champions. And the 23-year-old has now revealed that he also snubbed an offer to join Real Madrid out of loyalty to Atleti. “Real had already made a move for me, it’s true, but not this summer,” he told France Football. “And I wouldn’t go there. Not after having worn the colours of Atlético for such a long time.” Hernandez has made a solid start to life at the Allianz Arena, something he partly attributes to a big show of faith the club put in him when he signed. “When we were in discussions, they asked me what number I wanted. I told them I would have 21,” he said. Arsene Wenger rejected Real Madrid three times Arsene Wenger arrived at Arsenal in September 1996 and over 22 seasons won three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups, the most successful coach in the club’s history. During his time at the club other big sides in Europe wanted to pry him away. In an interview with Bein Sports the Frenchman revealed he rejected Real Madrid three times. “(Arsenal) was the perfect place for me, why would I take a risk to change and not feel comfortable with my work?” said Wenger. During the time Wenger was at Arsenal (96-18), Madrid had 19 coaches, including Fabio Capello, Vicente del Bosque and Zinedine Zidane. Wenger admitted he may have won moe and been less economically limited if he had gone, but he prefered to stay. “Today I wonder sometimes if I was right or not to reject them but in that moment I felt I was at a club where I could satisfy my needs.” Goalkeeper Andriy Lunin admits he would have stayed at Real Madrid… if he had known in advance about Keylor Navas’ departure to PSG Keylor Navas’ last-minute departure from Real Madrid to PSG was unexpected It resulted in French stopper Alphonse Areola moving in the opposite direction Young Madrid keeper Andriy Lunin joined Real Valldolid on-loan for the season Lunin says that he would’ve stayed at Bernabeu as backup had he known Goalkeeper Andriy Lunin insists he would’ve stayed at Real Madrid had he known of Keylor Navas’ departure to PSG. The Costa Rican’s surprise move to the Ligue 1 champions resulted in PSG stopper Alphonse Areola moving in the other direction on a season-song-loan deal. But Lunin, who is out on-loan at La Liga club Real Valladolid this season, implied that Areola wouldn’t have signed had he still be been at the club, and therefore Lunin himself could’ve been this season’s backup to Thibaut Courtois at the Santiago Bernabeu. ‘Nobody knew Keylor Navas would be leaving Real Madrid, I would have had the chance to stay if I had known,’ Lunin told ‘Keylor’s attitude helped me being comfortable at the club. We often had lunch together and we always talked, which helped me a lot. ‘He always asked about my situation and I’m thankful for the help he gave me. Real Madrid ‘targeting 2021 move for Kylian Mbappe’ Real Madrid are playing the long game as they aim to bring Kylian Mbappe to the Bernabeu. They are reportedly ready to allow the France star to run down his contract at PSG, which expires in 2022. President Florentino Perez is ‘obsessed’ with bringing the World Cup winning star to Madrid, and is willing to bide his time, according to Marca. Real have had previous success with the strategy in pursuit of Chelsea pair Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois, acquiring both for lower fees after allowing them to run down their contracts. With two and a half years remaining on Mbappe’s deal, Real are willing to wait until the summer of 2021 and hope that he withstands the pressure to pen new terms. They have been tracking the French sensation for years and are confident of beating competition from the likes of Barcelona, Manchester City and Juventus. The 20-year-old has made a slow start to the new season at the Parc des Princes with two goals in his first five games. Last year he struck 39 times in 43 appearances as PSG romped to the Ligue 1 title. OFFICIAL: Luka Modric injury report Real Madrid have published a medical report about midfielder Luka Modric. Following the tests carried out today on our player Luka Modric by the Real Madrid medical department, he has been diagnosed with a contusion to his right quadriceps. His recovery will continue to be assessed. Modric was forced to leave Croatia’s match against Wales with this injury but said that it was only a knock immediately after the game. The Croatian player couldn’t complete Tuesday’s training session with the squad, which means that he could stay out for the next few sessions as well. Modric said that his thigh was a bit swollen and this contusion could take some time to heal properly. While it’s likely that Modric misses Real Madrid’s trip to Mallorca, the midfielder should recover in time for Real Madrid’s next two away games against Galatasaray and Barcelona, especially considering that Los Blancos are without Toni Kroos as well.